Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Good friends will last a lifetime.

Ten Years. A decade. That sounds like it was so long ago; it was so long ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

It was almost ten years ago that I met Donald. He was an overweight 11 year old and I was a gullible 9-year-old girl. Donald's cousins lived across the street from my friend Samantha and he came out to play kickball with us one day. I remember he kept calling me "Maroon" because that was the color of my sweatshirt and he couldn't remember my name. Donald has always done stuff like that. Actually, he still does it to this day.

After not hanging out with Donald for about 2 years, I suddenly started to see him again when he got hired in the same place as me. I don't think he's changed a lot from when he was younger. He is still a complete clown and makes the same jokes that he did 7 years ago. If he doesn't remember someone'e name, he still makes up one. Donald and I hang out a regular basis and I love hanging out with a friend that I've known for so long.

Tonight we were talking about the "old times" and all the stuff we've gone through. We laughed about all the nicknames he had when he was a chubby little kid and then talked about when he dated my best friend. We talked about the days when we used ot play manhunt and every one of our friends could jump a fence like it was nothing. We even brought up his best friend Lou. Donald has some hilarious stories about him but we'll save that for another day. Now we have new nicknames for each other and we don't play manhunt anymore. Instead of jumping fences we drive cars. Lou still comes around sometimes but we also have a new group of friends. Donald and I have had so many memories and just continue to make new ones.

Sometimes I think it's kinda sad that we all grow up so fast. Everyone graduates, we move on, we move out. Soon we'll be out of college and living in the "real world." It's comforting to know that through all of this I can still hang on to some friends.

2 comments:

Nikole said...

It is funny you recollect on a past friend.. I have a few of them and when I see them it automatically brings a smile to my face. Remembering my past and bringing it to life again, for the most part brings back awesome memories, making me not want to ever grow up. It sounds amazing that you comforted someone who maybe had a rough childhood with other children growing up, shows a a lot about your personality. Even though he was a "chubby" kid as you may have put it you accepted him for who he was. That is an awesome characteristic.

larine said...

really i enjoy reading good friends will last a lifetime its a very nice topic