Thursday, November 8, 2007

Banksy

I'm going to let you all in on my little secret... I have a new obsession. I may be a little late on this bandwagon, but I've recently discovered the work of graffiti artist Banksy. Banksy's name is well-known, but the artist likes to keep his identity anonymous. He is believed to be Robert Banks; born in 1974 and a native of Bristol, England. Bansky's graffiti can be found throughout London and all over the world. Many of his artworks have political and cultural meanings. I find many of his work humorous.


Banksy has also played many tricks in museums. He walks in with one of his own pieces of work, and when no one is looking, Banksy hangs his work on the museum walls. He even makes his own descriptions for the paintings. Once he hangs it, Banksy stands back and laughs as he watches as people admire it as a work of genius.


Many people admire Banksy's graffiti as art while others argue that it is vandalism. In some places, the city has let the community vote on if the graffiti should be left alone or painted over. In my opinion, Banksy's work is art. Most times, graffiti is someones name scrawled across the side of the building, but this man puts time and effort into his stenciled graffiti. It is very unique and interesting.
Check out his website to see all the amazing stuff he's done:
http://www.banksy.co.uk/

No comments: