Monday, October 22, 2007

Clowns

Another boring day at work. I stood at my register listening to the monotonous beeping of the register. Little did I know that someone was about to scare me half to death.

Apparently, every person in the store knew what was going on. It should have been most noticeable to me, but I was oblivious. As I finished with my customer I automatically looked up already speaking, "Do you have your Stop & Shop card?" And there he was. A tall man, maybe about six feet tall, was glaring in my face. He was the unhappiest clown I had ever seen in my entire life, not to mention the scariest.

Now I am not a fan of clowns to begin with and this guy just creeped me out beyond belief. I didn't run or make a scene, just jumped back a little and stared at him. I turned around and everyone in the entire store seemed to be watching the commotion at my register . When I turned to face the clown again all he said was "EVERYONE IS STARING AT ME LIKE I'M SOME KIND OF FREAK!" A clown usually doesn't phase someone if you're at a circus or something similar, but when you're nearly six feet tall, wearing shoes the size of my forearm, and shopping in a grocery store, it tends to grab people's attention. I proceeded to ring up his groceries as fast as possible to get him away from me.

When the clown left I started laughing along with many other people in the store. It became the joke of the day. Things never cease to amaze me at Stop & Shop. At least it's always entertaining.

No comments: